Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Keeping my focus

The new school year has started. Theresa will be in 1st grade (yikes, has it been really 6 years?). We have started school here and there just to get the feel out of it, especially for me. This will be my first year home-schooling with a toddler and a baby, and I must say that it has been very interesting and challenging.DH has been busy with his teachings, grading, and other stuff related to his work.

These past few days, The Holy Spirit has been pulling me to one story from the Bible. It is the story where the disciples saw Jesus approaching their boat, in the middle of the ocean, by walking on the water. Peter, who always speak without thinking (I found out that he is a choleric), asked Jesus to call him because he wanted to walk on the water too. Jesus did call Peter, and he walked on the water toward Our Lord. While Peter was walking, the big wind blew, Peter was scared. He started to lose his focus on Christ, that's when he started sinking.

This story reminded me how I should keep my focus on Christ alone. My life will be busy with schooling and other things. There will be worries, starting from financial situation, mortgages, etc. The storm of life will start to shake me and I will start to sink, if I don't have my eyes fixed upon The Good Lord. At the same time, I'm comforted knowing that The Lord will always stay close by me. I know when I do 'sink' I can just quickly call out His name, and His hands will pull me out in no time, just like He pulled Peter when he started sinking and call out for Him.

I have to start disciplining myself to make prayers my priorities through out the day, in order to keep my sanity. During the home-schooling conference this past summer, a Carmelite nun said that if we are too busy to pray, we are busier than what The Lord intended us to be.

A dear holy priest once told me to keep my eyes upon the crucifix where I can draw all the strengths I need. Gazing at the crucifix, I can learn all the virtues from The Creator Himself, especially humility and charity, the virtues that I really need to learn the most.

So, what have we been learning so far?
Art


If you give Gerard some paint....

Making pizza for lunch

Making pie dough

Science

Geography

When the artists need a bigger paper


Showing off her cursive writing

Thinking hard during Math test. She loves tests and can become giddy. I hope the excitement will last until High School


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this meditation. How appropriate. It must be so challenging to homeschool with little ones. It is nice that your daughter is so keen. My son won't go near a piece of paper :)